Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pirsig's Picture and mine

When Robert Pirsig* made his trip in 1968, he stopped at a roadside picnic table and took a picture of himself on his bike, with his son, Chris on the back. I did some research to find out where the picture was taken, and decided it was at Milnor, ND. After leaving Bismarck this morning we headed south along the Missouri River, then followed rt 13 all the way to Milnor, located the roadside picnic table, and I lined up for a close to identical shot. The original picture and mine from August 22, 2012 are shown for comparison. The picnic shelter and table look original, though a bit dinged. I'm glad there is no museum built around it, but when two motorcycles passed by without slowing down, Mary Ann yelled "Don't they know anything about motorcycle history?"

* Robert Pirsig is the author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm ... the clouds are different ... LOL!

    Seriously, though ... I'm gratified that you went out of your way to commemorate this. In fact, I'm now inclined to drag out my old dog-eared copy of Zen and The Art and give it another reread after all these many years.

    Thanks for the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night I downloaded Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and read the first few pages. It seemed even more real, being able to picture it all in my mind, having just gone over that route.

      Delete